multiply shaders

General discussion about Cycles 4D.
geoffreybailey

multiply shaders

Post by geoffreybailey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:22 pm

I'm new to Cycles and trying to recreate a look I often do in comp. I'd like multiply an AO shader on top of a flat toon shader.

I know I can mix them, but then the whites of the AO shader mix into the darks of the toon shader. Is there a way to use blending modes with shaders? Or is there a way to do this that I'm missing? Thanks

Mohamed Sakr

Re: multiply shaders

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:57 pm

geoffreybailey wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:22 pm
I'm new to Cycles and trying to recreate a look I often do in comp. I'd like multiply an AO shader on top of a flat toon shader.

I know I can mix them, but then the whites of the AO shader mix into the darks of the toon shader. Is there a way to use blending modes with shaders? Or is there a way to do this that I'm missing? Thanks
this is not possible yet, though there is a way to do it with OSL only at moment. (CPU)
it will be available in the future (AO color node instead of AO shader node).

Mostafa Samir

Re: multiply shaders

Post by Mostafa Samir » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:06 pm

Hello Geoffrey ,

Simply, what you want to do is to convert "the shader output to color data" which is not possible in Cycles or even in Vray or mental ray or Arnold .All of these engines have only a blend shader with add option like the "mix shader" and "Add shader "in Cycles .

For your issue you could bake the AO for your object as maps with the Bake option inside Cycles4D and multiply it with your toon shader color .