Light only certain objects - possible?

General discussion about Cycles 4D.
DangerCycles

Light only certain objects - possible?

Post by DangerCycles » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi there,

I have a test file with a cyLight (Point Light) and three objects (cube, cone and sphere). My cyLight should only give light to the sphere, is this possible with Cycles4D light?
Like the internal Cinema 4D light tag project with exclude and include.
cycles4d.png
cycles4d.png (22.81 KiB) Viewed 1572 times
Thanks

Mohamed Sakr

Re: Light only certain objects - possible?

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:27 pm

DangerCycles wrote:Hi there,

I have a test file with a cyLight (Point Light) and three objects (cube, cone and sphere). My cyLight should only give light to the sphere, is this possible with Cycles4D light?
Like the internal Cinema 4D light tag project with exclude and include.
cycles4d.png
Thanks
right now it is not possible (it is on Cycles road map though, so it will be possible soon when it is in the core).
what do you want to achieve?

DangerCycles

Post by DangerCycles » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Hi Mohamed

Sometimes I work with several lights but I don't want my primary light to influence all objects. So, I exclude objects nearby to push my main object to the viewers eyes.

cu

Mario Tran Phuc

Post by Mario Tran Phuc » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi,

the result you seek is hard to achieve with an unbiased raytracer like Cycles4D. As it's trying to be physically correct this would be against how it basically works.

To workaround this i can recommend to add materials to highlight your desired object. Here an example:
Add-Material.c4d
(141 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Cheers,

Mario

Modler

Post by Modler » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:17 pm

Are you kidding me????

Cycles 4d is a beautiful renderer, but I am very sorry to say that this "excluding light feature" is my biggest disappointment up to now and should have been added to cycles 4d a long time ago.

I also found that this problem originates from Blender cycles, but they have found a better solution, by assigning lights to groups. And then it can be determined per group which objects can (or cannot) be illuminated by it's lights it contains.

At this moment I have this problem with FXexplosia and I not only want to create smoke and fire, but also a intense flash light to create a intense bang. The problem is that when this light is lighting the ground in a good manner, it is lighting smoke and fire way to much. I actually need 2 lights: 1 very bright light to light the ground and 1 softer light to light the smoke and fire, wile maintaining it's nuances and details without over exposure from the first light.

Any suggestions, other than Mario's (or a more detailed version of his solution in this)?

Mario Tran Phuc

Post by Mario Tran Phuc » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:37 pm

As far as I know light groups are not supported by Cycles. They only work for Blender´s biased standard renderer similar to Cinema 4Ds.

They added light group support to this years Cycles development roadmap https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev: ... es/Roadmap so it might be just a matter of time until it comes to Cycles 4D as well once integrated to the core.

If you have troubles with lighting up an EFX scene you can post it here and we can have a look.

Modler

Post by Modler » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:53 pm

I think, I have figured it out myself and bake the intense light in the texture of the floor somehow and use only one light, to lighten the smoke and fire in an correct manner

Modler

Post by Modler » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:09 pm

Thank you for your answer Mario, I have to say Cycles 4D makes some stunning renders, I really love the colourful results :-)
I hope there will come a solution for this problem through an update in near future. I will certainly post my Explosia example, if I don't succeed in baking the light in the floor texture.

I did a lot (hours and hours) of research on the Exlposia object last weeks, looking for new methods to control and art-direct the shape of the smoke more. I did find some pretty nice methods, but were unfortunately time consuming. At this moment I get better results in how create the shape of the smoke and fire source. The more you can shape the source mesh as a real dynamic explosion, the more authentic and artistically use full the exlplosion will look. You can get some pretty nice results from a fine divided sphere and extreme displacer deformer with a animating noise and a moving x-particles noice shader falloff. As soon as I am ready and found enough new insights, I will post and share this in the X-particles users facebook group :-)

With kind regards,

Coen van Veldhuijzen

Modler

Post by Modler » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:47 pm

"As far as I know light groups are not supported by Cycles. They only work for Blender´s biased standard renderer similar to Cinema 4Ds.

They added light group support to this years Cycles development roadmap https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev: ... es/Roadmap so it might be just a matter of time until it comes to Cycles 4D as well once integrated to the core."

What I ment is that it is already possible in Blender with groups and layers, but that's internal and not in cycles itself:
https://blender.stackexchange.com/quest ... ht-sources

Mohamed Sakr

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:25 pm

Modler wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:47 pm
"As far as I know light groups are not supported by Cycles. They only work for Blender´s biased standard renderer similar to Cinema 4Ds.

They added light group support to this years Cycles development roadmap https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev: ... es/Roadmap so it might be just a matter of time until it comes to Cycles 4D as well once integrated to the core."

What I ment is that it is already possible in Blender with groups and layers, but that's internal and not in cycles itself:
https://blender.stackexchange.com/quest ... ht-sources
render layers and groups in Blender are more like takes in Cinema4D, so you can use takes exactly for this task as they do in Blender :)

Modler

Post by Modler » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:15 am

Okay, that explains the lower urgency update level and I am glad that everybody from release r.17 can use the take system to deal with this issue. Unfortunately I only have r.15. So I have to deal with that and probably have to wait for Blender cycles 2.8, in order to solve this issue in Blender cycles internally and then Insydium can put this in a new update for cyles 4D :-)