iMac Pro with Radeon Pro Vega

General discussion about Cycles 4D.
chakuew0

iMac Pro with Radeon Pro Vega

Post by chakuew0 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:02 pm

I'm looking to boost my render performance and one idea is to go for the new iMac Pro. Has Cycle 4D tested using this HW?

Has anybody already worked with the new Vega Graphics?

..or is there a better way to go?

Thank you
erwin

heyBear

Re: iMac Pro with Radeon Pro Vega

Post by heyBear » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:00 pm

Build a windows pc. Put the best Nvidia Geforce GPU you can afford in it. Have fun!

Mac's aren't great for GPU rendering. OpenCL isn't nearly as good as CUDA. Save money and buy something more powerful at the same time.

Canuc

Post by Canuc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:16 am

I agree with Bear

But if you're interested in that king of machine versus the price

Check out
http://www.boxx.com/products/workstations

For the same price you can build an incredible machine

nickyc

Post by nickyc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:29 pm

Jeez,

I let mac go 2 years ago, so sad but the guts to make an Imac with that config for about 5 to 6 K is just mind blowing.
Beautiful machines but the costs wtf...Build or let someone build a pc with some decent gpu's and you are set!

chakuew0

Post by chakuew0 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:00 pm

Gosh nooo! I don't want to go to for a PC. I've more than enough trouble at work :-)

So all of you think Mac is dead for C4D. Well, thank you for your hints. I'll have probably to revise my aversion to PC.

One last...what about external GPU box, like BIZON?

heyBear

Post by heyBear » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:29 pm

extra money for a slower card. Also Apple writes and approves the Mac OS drivers so you're generally using old, very safely adjusted drives which will also kill your performance.

Apple is not good in the 3D game currently. Not even close.

Martin

Post by Martin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:22 am

chakuew0 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:00 pm
Gosh nooo! I don't want to go to for a PC. I've more than enough trouble at work
I was 8 years Mac user as well :D And I love Mac OS, but because of more freedom in hardware and Windows 10 which is a quite successful product I jumped back to PC with making Hackintosh in mind later, but stayed on Windows and moved Taskbar to the top, got rid of crapware and now quite happy using PC. That does not hurt as you think :D You even can lie yourself using some good Mac OSX themes and add Dock if you like, Windows has built-in Spaces called Task View etc. By keeping good OS maintenance I didn't experience OS crashes at all.

chakuew0

Post by chakuew0 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:43 pm

hi Martin .
I’m born with Mac, Had the first SE as teenager. So I’m reluctant to let go. Perhaps as Team Renderer. But that is not the point.

There is a thousand of different HW on the market and what is the right one to buy is not that simple. So, may I ask what you bought or would today? Go for boxx like Canuc propose?

Thank you
Erwin