things to fix

General discussion about Cycles 4D.
nickyc

things to fix

Post by nickyc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:55 am

Hey there,

I have some requests for you... :D
I have almost finished a job and ran into several issues with cycles, so I will share these with you for feedback purpose only.

-real-time preview is to slow compared to other engines, even in blender it is much faster.

-render region could work better it sometimes does not update properly, also it could be nice to drag a region instead of fiddling around.

-I could use a decent node for dirt/curvature, the pointines node doesn't do the job.

-anti-aliasing issue buffers, I mentioned it before and other people mentioned it as well, it is very much needed!

-node editor is slooooow, I am glad that we are now able to delete nodes in one go but the slow workflow is not good.
I love the editor and there are some great ideas like the solo thingy and such but fine-tune it some more please.
And while you are at it, fix the zoom option instead of using the 2 button, this is lame.

-work around or how to work while rendering with cycles, it occupies the whole machine.

Overall I found out that it is not quite production ready but can deliver some outstanding images.

I hope you can address some of these problems and I know some are in the core of Blender and some limitations for you are the fault of cinema4d but try to dig deeper, these are just my findings of working with it on a job.
Make it better :mrgreen:

nickyc

Re: things to fix

Post by nickyc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Dead silence...
Where is the maintenance support?

Mohamed Sakr

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:32 pm

thanks for your feedback.
need some more info about:
"-render region could work better it sometimes does not update properly"

about "-I could use a decent node for dirt/curvature, the pointines node doesn't do the job."
you use the pointiness attribute with a color ramp node to narrow the data, there is an example I guess.

nickyc

Post by nickyc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:37 pm

I do that with the pointiness node, I understand how it works.
I often work with octane and other engines but for some reason this just doesn't work as nice as it should.
The update thingy is something I don't understand, I had some interiors and when I selected a region in the ipr it just didnt unpdate or said it was updating but it did not show any progress.
Nevertheless is this something I can't send to you but if it happens on another job or fun thing in my spare time I will let you know.
Also dragging the render region would make it a bit more fluently!
Faster node editor, pleeaaase!!!