New Cycles4d user (almost), some questions.

General discussion about Cycles 4D.
andymario

New Cycles4d user (almost), some questions.

Post by andymario » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:41 pm

Hello everyone,
I am in my first week of Cycles demo, I also own xparticles since version 3.5 (always used it with Octane or standard).

I decided to give a look at Cycles4d mainly for the XP integration (it's truly amazing), and while "playing" with it and following the tutorials I found myself very pleased with the node system, the overall ease of use, the good documentation and the look of final renders. I do mainly motion graphics so I don't care for photo realistic results, I'm more focused on experimentation/procedural, and Cycles looks perfect for this kind of workflow even for a "non 3d" person like me. Plus, it's Insydium and I have tested their great support and reliability since I got XP.

However, I can't help but notice that the community is small at the moment, and despite the great tutorials/reels of Mario Tran Phuc it's all about other engines and I can't find a lot of other resources or user communities about Cycles4d.
I am just concerned if dedicating my time to learn and play with this engine will be worth it, and if there's a roadmap to keep it updated and improve it in the future (last update that was released was great and gives me hope!).
I also understand the development is tied with Blender Cycles being based on their open source code.

IPR speed looks the same as in other engines I have tried but I am wondering if in the future will also be improved the rendering speed to be on par with other engines since it looks a bit slower when compared.

Thank you if you will help me understand if Cycles it's the way to go for me.

Martin

Re: New Cycles4d user (almost), some questions.

Post by Martin » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi,

if you want a render engine which is seamlessly integrated with XP and will be the most integrated in the future, Cycles 4D is the way to go. This is a perfect combo for XP user. Don't worry too much about not that fast growing community as the bridge is very young, you always can participate in blender forums in parallel and learn. The latest release has improved massively compared to the early ones. All questions regarding bridge will be answered here by someone for sure.

andymario

Post by andymario » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:18 pm

Thanks Martin,
I never thought that I can use the same resources for Blender Cycles... there's lot of info available! I have to say also the documentation is well done so at the moment is enough. I am actually digging through all the examples from the repository, that's the best way to learn for me!

Also, after some days of trial, I have to say rendering it's not so slow as some were describing in reviews (ah, reviews). I tried to do a comparison using a similar scene (focusing on final image quality) with Octane and the difference was few seconds per frame (just by eye... not a very precise test, though).
Very stable also, had no problems until now (had just one test where particles weren't rendering, but I think was a cache issue).

The more I use it...the more I like it!

Mohamed Sakr

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:50 pm

andymario wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:18 pm
Thanks Martin,
I never thought that I can use the same resources for Blender Cycles... there's lot of info available! I have to say also the documentation is well done so at the moment is enough. I am actually digging through all the examples from the repository, that's the best way to learn for me!

Also, after some days of trial, I have to say rendering it's not so slow as some were describing in reviews (ah, reviews). I tried to do a comparison using a similar scene (focusing on final image quality) with Octane and the difference was few seconds per frame (just by eye... not a very precise test, though).
Very stable also, had no problems until now (had just one test where particles weren't rendering, but I think was a cache issue).

The more I use it...the more I like it!
Cycles4D got the same core as Blender Cycles (current Cycles4D core should match Blender 2.79).
examples can be followed as they are done in Blender (except for some Blender specific channels like Flame,Smoke stuff which are replaced with other alternatives like EFX, XP Domain and TFD).

and I'm sure you will like it due to its flexibility and ease of use :) , and its speed is growing every update! (and you can expect new features in the next core from Blender 2.80, and so on).

Martin

Post by Martin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:18 am

This is what you can expect from 2.8 core soon:

https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev: ... .80/Cycles

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:14 am

You can join INSYDIUM Discord chat room as well:
http://discord.gg/6FDFkcU

andymario

Post by andymario » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:06 am

Already there having fun :))
Thanks!

King of Snake

Post by King of Snake » Wed May 02, 2018 11:31 am

As another beginner I started a thread a while ago trying to collect some Cycles (4D/Blender) tutorials:

http://forum.cycles4d.net/viewtopic.php ... ials#p3643

And yes there are of course mostly Blender Cycles tutorials out there but they can be used quite well for Cycles 4D.
Please feel free to add any other good ones the you may encounter :)