Applying XParticles color information to volumes

General discussion about Cycles 4D.
Frizz2112

Applying XParticles color information to volumes

Post by Frizz2112 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:45 pm

I was wondering of there was a way apply particle color information volumes in Cycles. Specifically, I'm trying to find a way to properly render mixing transparent fluids. With transparent fluids, using techniques such as vertex maps is inadequate since you can only apply color information to the mesh surface, leaving fluid mixing within the transparent fluid volume invisible. In the attached file I'm applying particle color information to two mesh volumes, but it's using the mesh volumes themselves to delineate the color boundaries as opposed to the particles themselves. Ideally this setup would be a single mesh for all of the fluids, with the fluid colors coming directly from the particles. It seems the tools are there within Cycles to directly color the volumes using particle color information but I've yet to find the right setup.

This would also be useful for Explosia volumes, among other things. Thanks!
Attachments
Transparent Fluid mix Cycles.c4d.zip
(145.06 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

Mohamed Sakr

Re: Applying XParticles color information to volumes

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Frizz2112 wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:45 pm
I was wondering of there was a way apply particle color information volumes in Cycles. Specifically, I'm trying to find a way to properly render mixing transparent fluids. With transparent fluids, using techniques such as vertex maps is inadequate since you can only apply color information to the mesh surface, leaving fluid mixing within the transparent fluid volume invisible. In the attached file I'm applying particle color information to two mesh volumes, but it's using the mesh volumes themselves to delineate the color boundaries as opposed to the particles themselves. Ideally this setup would be a single mesh for all of the fluids, with the fluid colors coming directly from the particles. It seems the tools are there within Cycles to directly color the volumes using particle color information but I've yet to find the right setup.

This would also be useful for Explosia volumes, among other things. Thanks!
you can use point density texture node, inside that node there is a field to add the XP Emitter link, then you choose the required attribute (particle color for example), it will give you a volume with that data, you can specify how dense is the volume (avoid so high res volumes or you may run out of memory).

Frizz2112

Re: Applying XParticles color information to volumes

Post by Frizz2112 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:16 pm

Thanks for the reply! I got this working reasonably well per your advice, although I was wondering if you might have any suggestions to get more accurate color mixing. In the attached file I have a very basic fluid setup with red and green fluids mixing, but when the fluids mix they are creating a fairly bright yellow color instead of the dark, muddy color that you might expect. Sorry, my knowledge of the various Cycles nodes is pretty limited.
Attachments
Transparent Fluid mix Cycles v2.c4d.zip
(171.01 KiB) Downloaded 22 times