Way to see outputs of nodes as numerical values (for debugging+learning)

Things you'd like to see in future versions of Cycles 4D.
King of Snake

Way to see outputs of nodes as numerical values (for debugging+learning)

Post by King of Snake » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:24 am

It would be handy to have some way of seeing values output by nodes (as text). I can imagine it would help debug complex node trees, but also for learning I find I often want to see what kind of actual value is being output at certain node outputs (where it's not immediately obvious from a slider position on the node).
Xpresso has a handy "result" node for this, but I can imagine it could also work as a tooltip that appears as you hover the mouse over a node output.

Mohamed Sakr

Re: Way to see outputs of nodes as numerical values (for debugging+learning)

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:01 pm

King of Snake wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:24 am
It would be handy to have some way of seeing values output by nodes (as text). I can imagine it would help debug complex node trees, but also for learning I find I often want to see what kind of actual value is being output at certain node outputs (where it's not immediately obvious from a slider position on the node).
Xpresso has a handy "result" node for this, but I can imagine it could also work as a tooltip that appears as you hover the mouse over a node output.
it is not possible (as the shader is compiled at render time). , and the value isn't a single value (it is a shader, so it needs a sampling at the image).
so you click the output socket that you want, it will show in the RT preview window (values >= 1 will be white, values <= 0 will be black).
if you want to debug more, you can copy the image to picture viewer (or save it to disk) and check the values.

there is also another handy way to view specific color/float values (non-shader nodes), by using math node with greater than or less than.

King of Snake

Re: Way to see outputs of nodes as numerical values (for debugging+learning)

Post by King of Snake » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:18 am

Thank you! Of course you are right about shaders not giving a single value out of an output (I hadn't really considered this). I was thinking about, for example, the particle input node and the values of the ouputs there, but of course there you would have the same: there is a different value for each particle. So my feature request makes no sense :)
The feature of clicking the output is already very handy.