unrealistic materials

Post your images and animations made with Cycles 4D here.
madmandrax

unrealistic materials

Post by madmandrax » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi, I'm so frustrated about my first car rendering . I have used only materials from the starter pack resp. from the example scenes. The environment is taken from the simple sky example. So nothing special. It should look realistic out of box.

The car paint always look like chrome, I tried all the car paints from the library. In the picture, the blue car paint is used. The so called car glass doesn't look like glass anyway. The suitcae should be of leather! Everything looks glossy and shiny ....

When I bought the software, I relied on the Starter pack material library to get realistic looking materials and get started with the node based material editor.

What am I missing?

Thanks for any hints.
Attachments
test01_isetta.png
test01_isetta.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1544 times

Mohamed Sakr

Re: unrealistic materials

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:30 pm

madmandrax wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:18 pm
Hi, I'm so frustrated about my first car rendering . I have used only materials from the starter pack resp. from the example scenes. The environment is taken from the simple sky example. So nothing special. It should look realistic out of box.

The car paint always look like chrome, I tried all the car paints from the library. In the picture, the blue car paint is used. The so called car glass doesn't look like glass anyway. The suitcae should be of leather! Everything looks glossy and shiny ....

When I bought the software, I relied on the Starter pack material library to get realistic looking materials and get started with the node based material editor.

What am I missing?

Thanks for any hints.
you are missing experience :)
having material library won't give you the (red button wow render).
I suggest you watch some tutorials about lighting, car rendering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkgjxo2fPBo&t=7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPtKM6Esu70

this is a 2 part tutorial for Blender Cycles, but all of its content can be applied to Cycles 4D.

madmandrax

Post by madmandrax » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 pm

thanks. You're right, I'm missing experiences with Cycles. But I have experiences with NVIDIA iray and Thea Render. I know what I can expect and what not.

The standard materials from a purchased library should look good under standard illumination.

Mohamed Sakr

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:47 am

madmandrax wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:36 pm
thanks. You're right, I'm missing experiences with Cycles. But I have experiences with NVIDIA iray and Thea Render. I know what I can expect and what not.

The standard materials from a purchased library should look good under standard illumination.
car rendering is one of the special cases here, a different lighting/environment/HDRI can alter the mood/reality 100% with the same materials.

madmandrax

Post by madmandrax » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:58 am

getting closer ... :)
test_02_cycles4d.png
BMW Isetta 1958
test_02_cycles4d.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 1522 times

Mohamed Sakr

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:35 pm

madmandrax wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:58 am
getting closer ... :)
test_02_cycles4d.png
a lot better :) , looks real except the model is unfamiliar.