render optimization in big scenes?

General discussion about Cycles 4D.
kasezo

render optimization in big scenes?

Post by kasezo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:06 pm

hi, i have a problem with big scene.
in scene, 4 houses, 1million spline based grass cycles renders splines in ribbon mode) and lot of trees with big amount of leaves. project project file is 1.1 gb.so this is big project for me.

problem is 'out of memory' error. but not in gpu. in cpu render. memory usage peak is 9 gb. i have 16 gb ram in system. and i dont know why cycles not using more than 9 gb if it needs more memory. there ar free 2-3 gb memory.

to here okey, i am understanding i need more memory or optimizing scene. in some forums of blender cycles people says textures tiles affects more memory usage. its looks true because i maked some tests and it helped. but not much! problem is here. %50 of renders cycles givint error or crashing c4d.

my problem and question is, how i can optimize scene for more effective usage of cycles. any one tryed cycles in big arhitecture scene? i think will be resolve if i can disable some trees and grass if camera not see them. but i dont know how its possibe. any one have information or experience in situations like this? or any known plugin or tool to hide objects from render if camere not see theme?

Mohamed Sakr

Re: render optimization in big scenes?

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 pm

kasezo wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:06 pm
hi, i have a problem with big scene.
in scene, 4 houses, 1million spline based grass cycles renders splines in ribbon mode) and lot of trees with big amount of leaves. project project file is 1.1 gb.so this is big project for me.

problem is 'out of memory' error. but not in gpu. in cpu render. memory usage peak is 9 gb. i have 16 gb ram in system. and i dont know why cycles not using more than 9 gb if it needs more memory. there ar free 2-3 gb memory.

to here okey, i am understanding i need more memory or optimizing scene. in some forums of blender cycles people says textures tiles affects more memory usage. its looks true because i maked some tests and it helped. but not much! problem is here. %50 of renders cycles givint error or crashing c4d.

my problem and question is, how i can optimize scene for more effective usage of cycles. any one tryed cycles in big arhitecture scene? i think will be resolve if i can disable some trees and grass if camera not see them. but i dont know how its possibe. any one have information or experience in situations like this? or any known plugin or tool to hide objects from render if camere not see theme?
try to change the BVH type and turn on/off spatial splits, this may change the memory usage.

kasezo

Post by kasezo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:33 pm

already tryed mohammed. not helped. already going crashes. or lot of render times. for example, fhd resolution rendering goin 15 min. and 4-5 minutes waiting with black screen and calculating bhv, loading textures and etc. and after 4-5 minutes starting show render. in fact these effect also seen in preview window to. so work procces being very slow.
my pc is i7 6800k and gtx 1060 6gb.
about resolving problem, i reduced every objects poligon how its possibe, replaced some tree and plants and its helped but not much. client says visualization must be with these plants and trees. so i tryed manually remove plants and trees when they not seen to camera. its helped very good. but i need render 20-30 frames with different angles and a video. so manually remove objects when they not seen to camera its not acceptable. :(

i am very interesting about hiding objects from render if they not seen to camera. it is will be very good for big projects. it is possible via materal node's? or, you know any plugin or way to hide objects from render if they not seen to camera?

Mario Tran Phuc

Post by Mario Tran Phuc » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi,

here a list of render optimisations I usually try to reduce memory usage. Maybe some of them might help with your scene:

- use render instances / cyinstance tag and enable render instance in mograph objects cloner,matrix)
- split foreground, midground, background and composite them after. The holdout shader creates transparent objects.
- use AO bounce & Texture Limit in the Rendersettings
- set Clamp Direct and Clamp Indirect to "0"
- disable Reflective and Refractive Caustics
- Set Volume Step Size higher and max Steps to lower try 24 on both
- Increase Subdivision Rate
- Reduce Curve Subdivisions
- deactivate Multiple Importance Sampling in the object materials when using GPU
- Use large Rendertiles when using GPU (split the renderresolution into the amount of GPUs)
- Render without Motionblur
- use translucent material setups instead of SSS / avoid SSS on instances
- avoid denoising
- change spline objects to have lesser segments

Cheers,

Mario

kasezo

Post by kasezo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:35 pm

thank you mario. im now tryed limiting texture size and its helped and now peak ram usage is 7.5 gb.

and i remember a plugin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY1oqEdIhJ0 its allows create object only in camera cone. so if camere not see objects, they are not generating. its can be good for render. and im going try this via mograhp.

and i have a idea for cycles4d, something like this: reverse version of 'seen by camera' option in cycles object tag. and its can be allow us: disabling or hiding objects from render, if camera not see them. it is possible? :) i will add this to whislist for cycles.

Mohamed Sakr

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:59 pm

kasezo wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:35 pm
thank you mario. im now tryed limiting texture size and its helped and now peak ram usage is 7.5 gb.

and i remember a plugin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY1oqEdIhJ0 its allows create object only in camera cone. so if camere not see objects, they are not generating. its can be good for render. and im going try this via mograhp.

and i have a idea for cycles4d, something like this: reverse version of 'seen by camera' option in cycles object tag. and its can be allow us: disabling or hiding objects from render, if camera not see them. it is possible? :) i will add this to whislist for cycles.
it is possible, I will see how I can add it (may be in the next update)., please put this in the wishlist.

kasezo

Post by kasezo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:31 pm

thank you mohammed. im adding this to whislist. and as a note, i am tryed make something like that plugin into mograph and now ram usage peak only 4.9 gb. so its very effective way for this stuation. and really helps. going add this to whislist. :arrow:

Mario Tran Phuc

Post by Mario Tran Phuc » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:15 pm

Great idea! That will definitely help. Thanks for looking into this Mohamed!

Cheers,

Mario