edge thickness

General discussion about Cycles 4D.
Post Reply
User avatar
sepahbodi
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:48 am

edge thickness

Post by sepahbodi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Looking for some advice. see attached. I am trying to create a tapered color ring around the sphere which will change color through particle emission. I got it all working but the ring is not tapered.

Maybe using a math/Vector node and angling the texture?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments
thickness.c4d
(184.58 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
thickness.jpg
thickness.jpg (15.31 KiB) Viewed 389 times

User avatar
Mohamed Sakr
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:45 am

Re: edge thickness

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:37 pm

sepahbodi wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:17 pm
Looking for some advice. see attached. I am trying to create a tapered color ring around the sphere which will change color through particle emission. I got it all working but the ring is not tapered.

Maybe using a math/Vector node and angling the texture?

Thanks in advance for any help.
you will need to add 2 more nodes in your material:
1- input->texture coordinate->camera output connected to a math node:multiply
2- the math node multiply second value = 2.5, connect the output of math node multiply into fresnel node IOR.

* add cyInstance tag to your xpEmitter, and set segments to 48

User avatar
sepahbodi
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:48 am

Re: edge thickness

Post by sepahbodi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:52 pm

thx so much..solved!

User avatar
sepahbodi
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:48 am

Re: edge thickness

Post by sepahbodi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:12 pm

spoke too soon, seems like when they move about they fill in, maybe because of the fresnel? any other ways to skin this cat? I would ultimately like them rotating around so you can see them turning via the line thickness.
Attachments
thickness2.c4d
(314.04 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

User avatar
Mohamed Sakr
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:45 am

Re: edge thickness

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:47 pm

sepahbodi wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:12 pm
spoke too soon, seems like when they move about they fill in, maybe because of the fresnel? any other ways to skin this cat? I would ultimately like them rotating around so you can see them turning via the line thickness.
the thickness is based on the position in the camera frame, if you want a constant shape you should use a texture.

User avatar
sepahbodi
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:48 am

Re: edge thickness

Post by sepahbodi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:02 pm

yes thx, I am stuck on getting the texture to have the various edge thickness wrapped around a sphere. . any insights would be helpful. thank you

User avatar
Mohamed Sakr
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:45 am

Re: edge thickness

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:08 pm

sepahbodi wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:02 pm
yes thx, I am stuck on getting the texture to have the various edge thickness wrapped around a sphere. . any insights would be helpful. thank you
just a circle image, shift it from the center

User avatar
sepahbodi
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:48 am

Re: edge thickness

Post by sepahbodi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:40 pm

thank you.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest