Render elements problem

General discussion about Cycles 4D.
YarrY

Render elements problem

Post by YarrY » Mon May 21, 2018 2:23 pm

Hello! Sorry for such a dumb topic, but I can't find a solution to the problem. For some reasons when I turn on the render elements for cycles4d my main render starts to look completly different - blown out and very light. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I turn on render passes in cycles and turn on the post effects. Is there something else I should do to keep the main render in it's initial state, but also to get the passes?

Mohamed Sakr

Re: Render elements problem

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Mon May 21, 2018 5:13 pm

YarrY wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 2:23 pm
Hello! Sorry for such a dumb topic, but I can't find a solution to the problem. For some reasons when I turn on the render elements for cycles4d my main render starts to look completly different - blown out and very light. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I turn on render passes in cycles and turn on the post effects. Is there something else I should do to keep the main render in it's initial state, but also to get the passes?
make sure you render using 32bit image extension.

YarrY

Post by YarrY » Thu May 24, 2018 12:28 pm

Yeah, I know. The weird thing that drives me nuts is that color gamma changes the moment I turn on the render elements. Both in the picture viwer and saved files. If I render without - it's OK. But if I turn them on - completly different picture.

Mohamed Sakr

Post by Mohamed Sakr » Thu May 24, 2018 2:28 pm

YarrY wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:28 pm
Yeah, I know. The weird thing that drives me nuts is that color gamma changes the moment I turn on the render elements. Both in the picture viwer and saved files. If I render without - it's OK. But if I turn them on - completly different picture.
Cinema4D color profiles are weird, this happens internally within Cinema4D when you activate render elements.

geoffreybailey

Post by geoffreybailey » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:36 pm

We're having the same problem. Was about to post the same question. I'll try some more testing tomorrow when renders finish, but it looks to me like c4d is confusing the 1.0 gamma with either the 2.1 sRGB gamma that is the default or a 2.2 gamma. Setting the gamma to .45 or .47 (1/2.2 and 1.21 respectively) seems to get pretty close.

If anyone wants to try a couple things to see if they fix the problem, I'd try a render where the image color profile is set to "linear" and one where the image color profile is set to "Color Management Disabled".

I'll try to do some additional testing tomorrow.

geoffreybailey

Post by geoffreybailey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:05 pm

Ran a quick test this morning and as I suspected:

If you have multi-pass rendering enabled and are using Render Elements in Cycles, make sure that the Image Color Profile is set to "Linear" and your main RGBA pass should match the gamma of your Render Passes.