Some technical PRESALE questions

General discussion about Cycles 4D.
woodstar

Some technical PRESALE questions

Post by woodstar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:09 pm

I'm an Xparticles 4 customer, and thinking of buying Cycles for the utilisation of all my GPU's with XP. My main render is Octane so Cycles would be just for particle passes and then composited.

Now I have a few technical presale questions regarding this...And could you confirm this is a valid workflow? Also I reached out to sales team and they said they spoke to the technical support guys concerning depth of field. So I've been messing around with the demo to see if can get what I need.

1. Can you render alpha channel with Cycles and xparticles, how do you do it and do you get artifacts when using depth off field. (CANT TEST WITH DEMO AS I CANT RENDER OUT)

2. If I have particles going behind and in front of objects, but the best option for compositing be to render out all objects as diffuse black so the particles get occluded where needed, then use blending modes?

3. An extension of above question, is there a way to render out JUST particle pass and alpha channel without objects being rendered but occlusion still gets taken into a account, so I can effectively just place it on top of my beauty render during composite.

4. Documentation seems bit lacking for very beginners with XP integration. I don't even know where to start and there's so many choices and nodes to learn. Am I missing something as Xparticles documentation is so straight forward!